Important Update for Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Recipients

How to Receive Your Economic Impact Payment


New guidance has been issued for Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) beneficiaries on how to receive your economic relief payment — the Treasury Department has launched a new website to allow people to quickly register their payment information. 

IRS Economic Impact Payment — Non-Filer Application:

Visit this IRS Non-Filer website to fill out the "Enter Payment Info" application if the following applies to you:

  • If you receive Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability insurance benefits and did not file a tax return for 2018 or 2019 and have a child under the age of 17 — you should fill out the application to ensure you receive the $1,200 payment, and additional $500 per child.
  • If you receive SSI, especially if you have qualifying children under 17 — you should also enter your information on this site to receive the full amount you and your family are eligible for. 
  • If you are a new beneficiary of Social Security or SSI since January 1, 2020 and did not file a tax return for 2018 or 2019 — you should also enter your information on this site. 


If the following applies to you, you do not need to fill out this non-filer application:

  • If you are a Social Security beneficiary who receives an SSA-1099 and you do not have a child under 17 — you do not need to take action — you will automatically receive your payment.
    • An SSA-1099 is a tax form that Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. The SSA-1099 is not available for people who receive SSI benefits. 

To Note:

  • For SSI recipients who do not have children under 17, the Social Security Administration is continuing to work with the Treasury to attempt to make your payment automatic. 
  • Social Security will not consider Economic Impact Payments as income for SSI recipients, and the payments are excluded from resources for 12 months. 


While I am proud that much needed relief is on the way, people need help now and we must do more to ensure our most vulnerable Vermonters quickly receive this benefit. See the latest statement from Social Security Commissioner, Andrew Saul, on this new IRS site here.



How Can We Help?

My Burlington office has a team of experienced caseworkers who help Vermonters navigate federal agencies every day. If you think my office can help you, please do not hesitate to call 1-800-339-9834 or (802) 862-0697, or click here

If you would like to share your thoughts on pending legislation, or if you have an idea that we could address through new legislation, click here